Skip to main content

California Dreamin'

Some time in late December/early January I started to get itchy.  Itchy for warm weather.  Itchy for a break.  Itchy for some quality family time.

Justin and I started talking about booking a vacation and it occurred to us that Jordan and Julia might be interested in joining us for a California adventure. Their little guy, Jett, had yet to meet Nana and Papa, so we invited them to come along.  It didn't take long for them to agree.  We booked our flights and house rental shortly thereafter.  We shopped VRBO and airbnb, and definitely got the better deal on airbnb.  A great 3 bedroom/2.5 bathroom townhome in sunny Carlsbad.

We flew out on a Monday afternoon and connected in LA to arrive in San Diego.  Even though it was nearly 10 by the time we arrived our airbnb host still greeted us and showed us around the place. Justin and I quickly tucked the kids into bed, and then we passed out as well.  Travelling with a threenager and a very busy almost two-year old can certainly take it's toll.

Tuesday we spent some time at the beach, had lunch with Nana and Papa, spent some more time on the beach, watched the sunset on the beach, and had In'n'Out for dinner.  A great first day!

Wednesday was fairly low-key.  Justin had arranged for me to have a vacation massage, so that we a really nice way to start the day.  We picnicked at the beach and soaked up copious amounts of much-needed Vitamin D.

Thursday was the best.day.ever.  Justin and I have always talked about waiting to spend money on going to any sort of Disney theme park until our youngest kid was old enough to ride all the rides. However, Via is obsessed with Minnie Mouse, and has been for the better part of two years.  That might not sound like much, but when you think about it that's more than half of her life so far. We couldn't think of anything better than seeing her meet her best friend in real life, and it was so worth it. She loved loved loved meeting Minnie Mouse.  We hadn't told her where we were going, so the whole Disney daytrip was a total surprise.  We spent about 5 hours at Disneyland, met 5 characters, and went on 4 rides.  That was plenty for our little crew.  Soren and Via both passed out on the way home since they were both way overdue for naps.

We spent some more time at the beach on Friday and then made our way out to Murrietta to visit with Nana and Papa again.  Nana made a great meal, and Justin's Aunt Kim and Uncle Clayton were there as well.  It was great to visit with everyone.

Saturday came too soon.  Time to pack up and head back to the land that wants for more sunshine.  It is always nice to come home, but that trip got me dreamin' about more sun, more often.  :)










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Ryan

This time of year always makes me pretty emotional.  Almost six years ago we unexpectedly lost my brother, Ryan.  Now, all these years later, I still tend to flashback to what life was like right before he passed.  He and I were both students at Century College, and we would always get dinner together on Monday nights because I had a break between my afternoon and evening classes.  Having always gone to a small Christian school, it was so nice to have my big brother show me the ropes.  I always remember Ryan, but this time of year is a different kind of remembering, and it's always something specific that sets off the season.  This morning it happened in church when we sang "Blessed Be Your Name."  I immediately flashed back to Ryan's funeral which of course brought the tears on in no time.  "Wow," I thought, "I can't believe it's already that time of year again."  It didn't take long for me to begin processing the idea that my little V...

Ultrasound pictures

Justin and I were so excited that Jasmine was going to be in town on the day of our 21 week ultrasound and she was able to join us for the appointment.  The hardest part of the appointment was when we had to turn our heads while the doctor looked for Via's gender.  We had Dr. Allison write the gender down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope so that our friend Adria could take it to the bakery without anybody knowing the gender before the reveal party.  Here are some pictures of Via's ultrasound. Here's her sweet profile. I love her little bum. This one cracks me up because she's Tebowing. Dr. Allison laughed at this one because she has both fists under her chin like she's posing for the picture. She's a pretty fiesty little girl.  Always moving around and getting her exercise.  I'm excited to meet her, and until then, Justin and I are just enjoying this journey.  

She has a face!

It's hard to even know where to begin.  We have been out of town the last two Sundays, so I have not blogged in quite some time.  A lot has happened in the last few weeks.  First of all, we had a splendid time in Jamaica.  We arrived in Montego Bay at about 11 a.m. on Friday, August 31, and we were at the resort, in our suits, and on the beach by 1:00 p.m.  The hotel staff was so accommodating, and everybody seemed to give us preferential treatment due to my big baby belly.  All the guys on staff at the resort would say to Justin, "Much respect, mon!"  Being there and being pregnant was a pretty unique experience.  On Saturday we attended Jack and Stephanie's wedding and reception.  The wedding was beautiful and the reception was mega fun.  Here are a few pics. Waiting for the bride.   Sunset on the beach.   Reception on the boat.   Love this guy and this boat.  So fun!    ...