Skip to main content

Camp Lunar

My kids are pretty creative and imaginative.  I love this about them.  As I type these words I can hear the three of them playing make believe that they are travelling the world on a hot air balloon, airplane and ship.  Because they have so many creative ideas I have mom guilt about not indulging their every whim.  I try to say "yes" to as much as possible, but I still say "no" plenty.

Sometime back in March or April Via made a poster for something called Camp Lunar and posted it in our dining room.  Of course it was a cute idea, but I don't think any of us thought it would happen.  Because these are exactly the types of ideas that don't usually happen.


After staring at this poster at every dinner for months I thought, "Why not do a version of this camp?  Why not just take an hour a day for one week and invite our friends over for Camp Lunar?"  So I reached out to the families on the street and they were all down to let their kids participate.  We modified the plan just a little bit and dropped off flyers.


Every day we did a quick welcome to Camp Lunar in front of the garage, and then went in the house for our daily "kick-off."  On the first day our big activity was tie dyeing t-shirts.  I had never tie dyed before, but it was so fun.  Now that I have done it once I want to do it again without also helping 7 kids at the same time.  Ha!





    








On the second day we did a nature theme.  For our welcome meeting we did "Going on a Bear Hunt" together.  Via had gotten journals for everyone and then drew pictures of different nature items and each kid found everything during the park scavenger hunt.  We had fun being outside together on a not-too-hot day.  For snack we had trail mix.






Day three was a first aide theme and also movie-making day.  We sang "Head and Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" for our welcome song.  Then Via had written a script for a movie and spent time shooting that movie.  We also talked about where we had gotten hurt before and then put Band-Aids in those spots.  We might have gotten a little carried away with the Band-Aids.  Popsicles were the perfect snack, because they always make you feel better.










Day four was dubbed "creative day."  We started out with "The Tooty Ta Song" and it was absolutely hilarious to watch the kids do this one.  After that we went over to the park and practiced signing a Camp Lunar song that Via wrote.  We played with model clay, and we made sculptures and structures with un-cooked spaghetti noodles and marshmallows.  







Day five we wrapped up with all the families coming over for pizza and movie night.  We had planned to read a Mulan book and then watch Mulan, but then all the kids decided to watch a different movie instead.  We wore our tie dye shirts, sang the Camp Lunar song, and debuted the movie the kids made.  It was a great way to finish the week.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Ryan

This time of year always makes me pretty emotional.  Almost six years ago we unexpectedly lost my brother, Ryan.  Now, all these years later, I still tend to flashback to what life was like right before he passed.  He and I were both students at Century College, and we would always get dinner together on Monday nights because I had a break between my afternoon and evening classes.  Having always gone to a small Christian school, it was so nice to have my big brother show me the ropes.  I always remember Ryan, but this time of year is a different kind of remembering, and it's always something specific that sets off the season.  This morning it happened in church when we sang "Blessed Be Your Name."  I immediately flashed back to Ryan's funeral which of course brought the tears on in no time.  "Wow," I thought, "I can't believe it's already that time of year again."  It didn't take long for me to begin processing the idea that my little V...

Ultrasound pictures

Justin and I were so excited that Jasmine was going to be in town on the day of our 21 week ultrasound and she was able to join us for the appointment.  The hardest part of the appointment was when we had to turn our heads while the doctor looked for Via's gender.  We had Dr. Allison write the gender down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope so that our friend Adria could take it to the bakery without anybody knowing the gender before the reveal party.  Here are some pictures of Via's ultrasound. Here's her sweet profile. I love her little bum. This one cracks me up because she's Tebowing. Dr. Allison laughed at this one because she has both fists under her chin like she's posing for the picture. She's a pretty fiesty little girl.  Always moving around and getting her exercise.  I'm excited to meet her, and until then, Justin and I are just enjoying this journey.  

She has a face!

It's hard to even know where to begin.  We have been out of town the last two Sundays, so I have not blogged in quite some time.  A lot has happened in the last few weeks.  First of all, we had a splendid time in Jamaica.  We arrived in Montego Bay at about 11 a.m. on Friday, August 31, and we were at the resort, in our suits, and on the beach by 1:00 p.m.  The hotel staff was so accommodating, and everybody seemed to give us preferential treatment due to my big baby belly.  All the guys on staff at the resort would say to Justin, "Much respect, mon!"  Being there and being pregnant was a pretty unique experience.  On Saturday we attended Jack and Stephanie's wedding and reception.  The wedding was beautiful and the reception was mega fun.  Here are a few pics. Waiting for the bride.   Sunset on the beach.   Reception on the boat.   Love this guy and this boat.  So fun!    ...