Skip to main content

March 1 - Soren's 9 Month Update (just a little belated)

February 21 marked Soren's 9 month "birthday."  I'm only a little behind on this update which is not all that bad.  If I get my life together I might even actually get Via's update blog out on March 3! Hard to believe that's only one month shy of my 28 year update.  Oofta.  

Yesterday Justin and I went on a date.  We had a cute little high school junior watch our kids while we ran out for just under 3 hours. We love dates! It's always nice to be away for just a bit to refocus on each other.  As we were walking out to the garage Justin commented on how old we are.  I mean - we are many moons away from stepping into retirement, but we are getting to the place where it feels like leaving our kids with a junior in high school is a little unnerving.  She's just a kid for crying out loud, and we are entrusting our kids to her care? We usually have family babysit, so this truly was a new experience for us. And obviously she did great. The goal is always to keep the kids alive, and she certainly accomplished that for us.  Goal #2 is "Did Via want to give her a goodbye hug?" Again, resounding yes! So, Justin and I are old and we hire high school-aged babysitters. And I'm not even 30.

Soren is 29 years and 3 months younger than 30, so let's focus on him.

Physical milestones:  Since I last posted Soren has put together the concepts of getting up on all fours and army crawling.  He is full out crawling, and if that isn't enough he decided that it's better to stand than to sit.  He pulls up on everything! We are really enjoying watching him crawl around, because Via more or less skipped crawling.  She started taking steps before she started crawling, so by the time she figured crawling out she only used it to crawl to something where she could pull up and keep on walking.

Eating:  Soren still eats babyfood for every meal as well as about 30 ounces of formula per day.  We have started to give him more solid food like puffs, graham crackers, whole wheat toast, and scrambled eggs.  He does pretty well with self-feeding - the eggs give him a bit of a challenge.  They are just so darn slippery.

Sleep:  A few weeks back Soren decided that he like a pacifier.  Weird, right?  Kid goes 8.5 months without it and then decides it might be nice to use one.  So we now have this battle of enjoying the fact that he puts himself to sleep super quick while sucking on his paci, but sometimes he wakes up in the night and won't go back to sleep until we pop it back in.  So it's nice, but it's also kind of a hassle. We usually try naps and bedtime sleep without the paci, but if he puts up a struggle or wakes up in the night we give in and go back to sleep.  :) So, he's doing a morning nap, an afternoon nap, and about 11 hours of nighttime sleep.  

Words:  No.  Soren is not talking yet, but he's kind of starting to give language a try.  He does this thing where he makes kind of a monkey face and says, "Oh, oh, oh."  You can tell that he's trying to say more.  It's pretty sweet.

Via: I know.  Not her post, but I still have to mention something.  Potty training is going great!  She has only had one accident since I last blogged and it happened at Gabe's house.  We dropped Via and Soren off for a few hours of playtime and I didn't even think about the whole "potty" thing since she does so well with us.  Apparently, she started telling Gabe she had to go pretty much right as she was going. I learned that in new situations I need to be very intentional about reminding Via to tell XYZ person when she needs to go potty.  Last night when the new babysitter was here I gave this method a try and Via did just fine.  

Here are a few recent pics.

Soren making his monkey face and saying, "Oh, oh, oh."

 Bath time beh-bey.

 "I'm standing!"

His new paci habit.

 I went to my parents house on Friday before going to my Dad's basketball game. Via went MIA and I found her like this.  Chilling with a stack of books in my old room.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncle Ryan

This time of year always makes me pretty emotional.  Almost six years ago we unexpectedly lost my brother, Ryan.  Now, all these years later, I still tend to flashback to what life was like right before he passed.  He and I were both students at Century College, and we would always get dinner together on Monday nights because I had a break between my afternoon and evening classes.  Having always gone to a small Christian school, it was so nice to have my big brother show me the ropes.  I always remember Ryan, but this time of year is a different kind of remembering, and it's always something specific that sets off the season.  This morning it happened in church when we sang "Blessed Be Your Name."  I immediately flashed back to Ryan's funeral which of course brought the tears on in no time.  "Wow," I thought, "I can't believe it's already that time of year again."  It didn't take long for me to begin processing the idea that my little V...

Ultrasound pictures

Justin and I were so excited that Jasmine was going to be in town on the day of our 21 week ultrasound and she was able to join us for the appointment.  The hardest part of the appointment was when we had to turn our heads while the doctor looked for Via's gender.  We had Dr. Allison write the gender down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope so that our friend Adria could take it to the bakery without anybody knowing the gender before the reveal party.  Here are some pictures of Via's ultrasound. Here's her sweet profile. I love her little bum. This one cracks me up because she's Tebowing. Dr. Allison laughed at this one because she has both fists under her chin like she's posing for the picture. She's a pretty fiesty little girl.  Always moving around and getting her exercise.  I'm excited to meet her, and until then, Justin and I are just enjoying this journey.  

Our Creator is not a Careless Mechanic

On Friday, November 2, Justin and I headed to our 41 week and 1 day checkup.  I had been having consistently inconsistent contractions for days, but.......Still.No.Baby.  My doctor wanted to monitor me and Via for half an hour and was looking for us to score 10 out of 10 points.  After half an hour of monitoring us she only found 6 points - also my blood pressure was much higher than it had been during the rest of my pregnancy.  Justin and I listened as she explained that the placenta may not be doing the best job for the baby anymore.  She looked at me and said, "If you were the type of mom that was planning to have an epidural, then I'd say let's go to the hospital, put you on pitocin, and have this baby."  She went on to say that since we favored a drug-free approach we had two options: 1.  Go to the hospital and be monitored for 24 hours to see if we could make up the 4 points we were missing.  If all looked good, then we could go ...